Monday, May 10, 2010

Work out your Salvation

Wherefore, my beloved, as ye have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling. Philippians 2:12


Being a Christian does not happen automatically, just as being fit and healthy does not happen automatically.  You must work out.  


Yes, you are born innocent and pure, but now after years of feeding your mind, after years of daily survival, you must learn a brand new way of living, a brand new way of being.  Just as you decide to work out your body each day, to become more healthy, so must you determine to work out your spiritual mind, to grow daily in Christ.


Set aside a few moments daily for a devotion, a simple devotion that is meaningful to you.  Have a daily devotion such as My Utmost for His Highest  emailed to your inbox each morning.


Before I had a daily devotion emailed to me, I carried a book with a years worth of devotions in my vehicle.  You know, one of those calendar style books, that has a reading for each day.  Each morning, before I got out of my vehicle at work, I would read my devotional, and say a few words of prayer asking the Lord to help me be more like Him, and asking that I would find a way to apply the words I had read to my life.


Although I had attended church my entire life, I truly believe that when I began making a concerted daily effort to study God's ways,  I began my Christian walk in earnest.


Another daily, and quick way to step into God's presence is to listen to Christian praise and worship music. . .not only to listen, but to hear the words, and apply them to your life.  I often sing a worship song as a prayer, offering up a sweet smelling savor before the throne of God.  


Only you can decide how you will work out your salvation, but work it out you must.


My prayer today is that each of us will realize, and answer,  the Call of God on our lives.


My Daily Devotion


Thank you for allowing me to share my thoughts with you.


If you enjoyed this brief commentary, and would like to receive updates, please enter your email address at the top of this page.  You will only receive updates for this subject, and can unsubscribe at any time.  







1 comment:

  1. Thank you......I enjoy all of your posts. But really connected with this one today and let it speak to my heart and want to apply it to my life. Thanks for sharing! Hugs, ~Mary~

    ReplyDelete