Sunday, February 14, 2010

Psalm 23: He Maketh Me to Lie Down

In reading A Shepherd's Look at Psalm 23, I am beginning to realize that sheep are very high maintenance animals.  They have a lot of needs and requirements that must be met before they can settle down.

Having been raised in the deep piney woods of East Texas, I have no concept of sheep whatsoever, but now, reading about them once again, from a shepherd's view point, I realize why God compares humans to sheep.

The common theme that I am finding is, that when sheep owners talk about their animals, they say, sheep are the dumbest animals on earth.  They don't have the sense to come in out of the rain.  They are scared of everything.  The shepherd must be there every moment to lead and guide them.  They are totally incapable of taking care of themselves.

Hmmmm. . .does the picture become a little more clear from God's point of view?

So, no wonder I am only at peace when I am in the presence of MY Shepherd, no wonder that when I stray from His Presence, I begin to feel angst and anxiety.

Just being assured of the presence of MY Shepherd causes me to be at peace.  I am able to lie down, and keep still, in His Presence, because I know that MY Shepherd, MY Owner, MY Manager is in control.

I have no need to be fearful, or to be afraid, I can rest in total confidence that God is in charge of my life, and my well being.

2 Timothy 1:7 - For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind. 

God did not intend for us to have a spirit of fear.  That is something we allow, when we wander out of His Presence.

As I clicked on Ezekiel 34: 15-16, and 20-22 and read the study notes , once again I realize, I cannot even begin to comprehend the protection God chooses to offer to me, as long as I remain in HIS Presence.

When I lie down in green pastures, when my eyes are on MY Master, then I can be at peace.

My prayer today is, Lord let me see the things that are not like you, that cause me to stray from Your Presence, that cause me to take my eyes off of MY Shepherd.  Speak to me Lord in a still small voice, as I rest in Your Presence.

My Daily Morning Devotion: My Utmost for His Highest

No comments:

Post a Comment