Thursday, July 9, 2009

Living in the Pig's Pen

Living in the Pig's Pen


My son sent me a text this morning, asking for prayer, because he had a job interview today.

Now, normally, every parent would think this was great, right? but this particular request brought to mind the story of the prodigal son, and all of the many, many pitfalls he brought upon himself, by insisting upon having his own way. . .

in pondering the story, a thought crossed my mind. . .was the Prodigal son's mother ever mentioned?. . .since I had never studied the story with this thought in mind, I decided to go verify the entire account again. . .

I began to wonder how many times his mother cried herself to sleep, wondering where her son was, wondering if he was safe?. . .pleading with God to keep him safe. . .to send angels to protect him, even in his rebellion. . .please God, please let him return safely. . .

I can just imagine the Mother's joy . . .because it's different for a Mom. . .no matter how many times a Mom is disappointed, there is still a feeling of joy when you see their face, and you know they are safe. . . I imagine she was running around, getting a hot bath ready. . .laying out the clean clothes. . .Dad ordered the feast. . .and Mom was making sure it was done just right. . .

Thinking about all of this, I recalled God's promises. . .and know that once again I must cling to the Words of the Father:

I KNOW THE PLANS I HAVE FOR YOU. . .
plans to prosper you and not to harm you. . .
plans to give you hope and a future. . .

Ironically, these words of hope came right in the middle of a terrible time of bondage for "God's Children"

punishment that was given,"because you did not listen to me"
(how many times have we all heard those words from our parents)

So once again, with all these thoughts going through my mind, I find myself praying the same prayer I've prayed many times before. . .

"God, I cling to your promises. . .you promised me that my boy's would do great things for you. . .
God you know I raised them to love you, and to serve you. . .so even though I don't understand, I cling to your promises, God".

No comments:

Post a Comment