Wednesday, July 29, 2009

The Other Side of the Storm



The Other Side of the Storm


has given me much food for thought.

This story, about Jesus walking on the Water,
is one I have told to my Sunday School classes on many occasions. . .
we have all heard the story. . .

Jesus sent his disciples ahead of him. . .
there was a storm. . .
the disciples were afraid. . .
Jesus came walking on the water. . .

but there is so, so much more to the story than that. . .
if you will click on the links and read the commentary,
you begin to understand the political aspects,
the personality aspects, just basic human nature aspects. . .
so many emotions in one little children's tale. . .
I almost feel ashamed to have glossed over
so many lessons that could have been
taught and learned from this one Bible passage. . .

Rev. Oswald Chambers makes the point in his devotional
that Jesus was there with the disciples during the storm. . .
and that the storm itself was the process,
not the beginning of or the ending of. . .
but what happened during. . .

It makes me realize, it is so true. . .
what happens to us
when we are going through the storm
is just as important as the conclusion. . .

How do we conduct ourselves when we face adversity?
Do we realize Jesus is there with us during the storm,
or do we feel so alone,
and scared, unsure of which way to turn?

We are all going to have storms in our lives. . .
the unexpected death of a family member or friend. . .
the betrayal of someone you trusted. . .
hurt feelings, financial difficulties. . .
all the day to day trauma that life brings. . .

This devotion today has made me realize,
how I conduct myself during my storms
is just as important as the miracle of God
delivering me from my storms.

My prayer today
is that we have an assurance
that God is with us in the storm,
and that he is more than able
to bring us out of the storm
to a bright, beautiful future
filled with His promises and blessings. . .




No comments:

Post a Comment