Wednesday, July 8, 2009

SERVING the ONE TRUE LIVING GOD

Choose you this day Whom you WILL Serve

With all the media coverage this week concerning Michael Jackson's death, and the ensuing media storm that has followed, I found today's devotional segment from My Utmost For His Highest by Oswald Chambers. especially poignant. . .

Joshua had been leading around this group of whining, sniffling, pitiful people for twenty to thirty years. . .these were the youngsters, all the old people had died before they crossed over the Jordan River. When things were good they whined. . .when things were bad, they whined. . .it must have gotten to the point that he just wanted to throw up his hands, and say, "I give up", and somehow it seems that maybe in verse 15 of Joshua 24, he does just that.

We always read the portion of scripture where Joshua states, "As for me and my house, we WILL serve the Lord", but what comes before that phrase is very, very intriguing. . .

evidently, as long as Joshua was alive, the "people" served the Lord, but Joshua must have sensed that they had a hankering for the world, because he called them all together,

YOU DECIDE whom you WILL serve . . . he asked them to state it plainly . . . you have a choice . . . but this is what you have to understand . . . God is a jealous God . . . and you are weak . . .

As I read this entire story, and the Bible commentaries, I truly know that I am weak, but he is strong, by His grace I WILL CHOOSE to serve him . . .

Just as Joshua asked for a commitment from the Children of Israel . . . I WILL make a commitment . . .

Will you join me? . . . As for me and my house, we WILL serve the Lord . . .

I say yes, Lord, yes, to your WILL and to your WAY,

I say yes, Lord, yes. I WILL trust you and obey.

When your spirit speaks to me, with my whole heart I agree,

And my answer will be, YES, LORD, YES

*this song available by Kevin LeVar on his project titled: Let's Come Together

No comments:

Post a Comment