Monday, July 20, 2009

Memories of God


Memories of God




What is your earliest memory of God?. . .

How old were you when you realized God existed?

I must have been about four years old, I know I had not started school. We attended church in Port Arthur Tx, pastored by J.T. Pugh.

One Sunday morning in Sunday School, there was a power failure, all the lights had gone off, and the kids in my class must have been scared, because I clearly remember my teacher saying, "We don't have to be afraid, Jesus is here with us, and just look at the beautiful sunshine he has given us", as she pulled back the curtains covering the windows.

That memory is so clear in my mind, that if I stepped into that classroom today, I believe I could show you where I was sitting. . .I also remember we had candy corn for snack. . .isn't our memory a phenomenal miracle. . .

How old were you when you realized that God was protecting you?. . .I could not have been too much older, I still had not started school. . .Mom and I were driving in the dark. . .it was only the two of us. . .I don't know where my Dad or younger brother were. . .

In those days kids rode in the front seat, and we did not wear seat belts. . .remember those days. . .I remember Mother screaming. . ."JESUS". . .and swerving to miss a cow in the road. . .I can so clearly see myself scooting up to the front of the seat, resting my elbow on the dash, and stating, "Jesus protected us, didn't he?", and my Mom's answer, "yes He did, He sure did, we need to thank him". . .

you know, come to think of it, I still scream "JESUS", in the car. . .guess I know where that came from. . .

and then, how old were you when you knew there was a calling from God on your life?

The summer I finished third grade, and was starting fourth grade, our family moved to Fort Worth TX, and began attending a church in White Settlement. . .I do not recall the circumstances of why. . . but I do know that is when I felt a calling on my life. . .every night I would lie in bed, and very quietly sing, "I'll go where you want me to go dear Lord, I'll do what you want me to do", as tears rolled down the sides of my face. . .I can't even remember all the words to the song now. . .but I do remember the earnestness with which I sang it. . .I meant every word. . .

and you know what?

To this very day, that is still the cry of my heart. . .

Let me do what YOU want me to do Dear Lord. . .

Please answer the question and share your stories in the comment section below. . .
you never know whose life your story may touch. . .



No comments:

Post a Comment